EASILY ADD DESIGNER PIZZAZZ TO YOUR HOME VIGNETTES WITH THESE 10 SIMPLE TIPS FOR CREATING THE PERFECT VIGNETTE.
Frustration began to mount inside as her shoulders tensed. Her once excited eyes had now started to cloud.”I give up!” she sighed as she tossed down the object in her hand. “I can’t do it.”
Trying to pull together her seasonal decor my friend stood surrounded by boxes from her storage room.
“I’m no good at this.” she cried.
I wanted to wrap my arms around her.
Right then I could have grabbed up all of her items to start arranging her decor. With my years of experience working in my gift shop, I had set up hundreds of seasonal vignettes.
But that’s not what she needed.
What she needed was something more. She needed to learn how to do it herself, To build confidence in her own abilities.
And that I could help her with.
So, what the heck is a vignette anyway? If you’re like many, you haven’t even heard the word before.
A vignette is a brief but powerful scene. A good vignette leaves you wanting more.
So let’s get started and create that special place in your home …. one that tells your story and will leave us wanting more!
10 Simple Tips for Creating the Perfect Vignette
1. Choose a theme. Will your theme revolve around a color? A season? A hobby? The style of your room? Any idea can be incorporated to create a unique vignette.
For this particular vignette, the theme I chose was spring.
2. Choose an anchor piece. Select an item that will anchor your vignette and serve as a focal point. Your focal point may be a favorite lamp, mirror or collector piece. One of my favorite birdhouses anchors my spring vignette.
3. Shop your home. Find items in your home that will work to create your chosen theme. Don’t forget to check out those things you have tucked away in storage.
4. Use a container. If you are using several smaller items, use a tray or low basket to contain your items.
5. Create depth and interest. By working your items from back to front in layers or stacks, you can add interest to your vignette. Placing the bird’s nest in the back of the display and adding the egg with a touch of blue your eye travels through this spring vignette.
Displaying vignettes in your home will bring a special touch to any area.
Here we’ve pulled some of the faux ivy accenting the vignette, through the handle of the tray to add even more interest and dimension.
6. Vary the size and texture of your objects – Smooth, rough and natural looks combine to give visual appeal.
7. Use Books. Books are an excellent way to lift and vary the height of the items in the vignette. Candlesticks, baskets or stacked plates are just a few other items that might be used to add a variety of levels.
8. Add personal touches. Use items which have meaning to you or touch you on a personal level. I love bird nests and bunnies and have incorporated both into this spring vignette.
9. Limit your color palette. Keep it simple by using similar tones and no more than 2 – 3 complimentary colors.
10. Don’t clutter your area. Step back, look, edit or delete.
Do you need to move something to the left or right, forward or backward? Don’t be afraid to experiment.
Changing out the vignettes in your home will help keep your area feeling fresh and new.
Above all remember – Vignettes aren’t permanent. Have fun! Allow yourself to be creative!
It’s your home – make it all about you!
What are your favorite styling tips? Will you be creating new looks in your spaces? I would love to hear about your favorite display ideas.
Don’t even know where to begin? Start with a vision and a decorating plan that will help you get results!
I invite you to share this on your Pinterest board and follow me HERE to see what I’m pinning and sharing!