My wonderful husband knows of my quest to try new recipes as I attempt to “become a cook” and often finds recipes that sound great. Looking at one of his favorite websites, “The Prairie Home Companion”, last weekend, he found one he thought we would both like and I had to agree! Not being able to eat red sauces, this was especially appealing to me – Alfredo Chicken Lasagna. YUMMY!!! During a quick trip to the grocery store, I grabbed up the ingredients and set out to make what was a delicious recipe.
2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded ( I used two large cans of chicken to make things a bit easier), 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, chopped, 1 pkg. (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese (the kind with Philadelphia in it if you can), divided, ½ cup grated parmesan, ½ cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped, 2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened, 1 cup milk, ½ tsp garlic powder, ¼ cup tightly packed fresh basil, chopped, divided, 12 lasagna noodles, cooked.
Let’s get cooking! Set the oven to 350° and here we go. Begin by combining the chicken, artichokes, 1 cup of the mozzarella, parmesan, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Beat the cream cheese, milk and garlic powder with a mixer until well blended and add 2 tablespoons of the basil. (This seriously would make a terrific salad dressing on its own! – not that I tasted it or anything). Add half of this cream cheese mixture to the chicken mixture.
Take the remaining half of the cream cheese mixture and spread half of it on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Cover the cream cheese layer with a layer of 3 of the noodles topped with 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Repeat the noodles and chicken two more times.
Top with the remaining 3 noodles, the rest of the cream cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese.
Cover and bake the dish for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook another 10 minutes or until slightly browned. I sprinkled with the remaining basil on top and – Voila – A wonderful Alfredo Chicken Lasagna!
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded or 2 cans chicken breasts (10 oz. each)
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese (the kind with Philadelphia in it if you can), divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh basil, chopped, divided
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine chicken, artichokes, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan and tomatoes.
- Beat cream cheese, milk and garlic powder with mixer until well blended; stir in 2 T basil.
- Mix half the cream cheese mixture with the chicken mixture.
- Spread half the remaining cream cheese mixture onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; cover with 3 noodles and ⅓ of the chicken mixture.
- Repeat layers of noodles and chicken mixture twice.
- Top with remaining noodles, cream cheese mixture and mozzarella; cover.
- Bake 25 minutes or until heated through. Uncover the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting to serve.
I must say it was delicious. Add a small salad and it makes a perfect meal. We found a new favorite in this home!