I’m back with another “Friday Food Favorite” from our family recipe box. After my recent computer CRASH and recovery, I am ready to start sharing once again.
Banana Walnut Muffins
Noticing a few bananas on my kitchen counter were overripe and in need of being used, (I hate eating mushy bananas), I just had to make one of my favorite recipes.
These are so YUMMY when eaten with a morning cup of coffee, and perfect for a snack anytime during the day.
This recipe is so simple and delicious.
For the topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
So let’s get baking – the sooner we start, the sooner we can enjoy these scrumptious treats.
Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or take the easy way out like I do, and line your pan with muffin papers. After all, who likes to wash those muffin pans?? Not me!
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, mash your bananas.
Add the sugar and melted butter to the bananas and beat together.
Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Add walnuts to the mixture – if you don’t like nuts you can leave these out and the muffins will still be delicious.
Now we are ready for the best part – the scrumptious topping.
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
Sprinkle the topping mixture over the muffin batter.
Bake the muffins in a 375 degree oven for 18 – 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out nice and clean.
Spread with butter and begin to eat immediately!
OK – if you must, you can forgo the butter. These banana walnut muffins are just so good when they are nice and warm and spread with butter why wouldn’t you want to eat them that way??? And the cinnamon topping? SO YUMMY!!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add sugar, egg and melted butter and beat together.
- Stir banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Add walnuts to the mixture and blend.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over muffins batter.
- Bake 18 - 20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Today I will be sharing at the following parties ~